Unleash Your Inner Party Animal: Creative and Fun Ideas for Adults to Make Your Celebration Unforgettable!
by Stefanie Michaels
I’m hosting a friend’s birthday party in a couple of weeks. I wasn’t sure what to start planning, so I thought back at what activities and types of foods he enjoys. I needed some ideas to drive the theme and what the eventual event would look like, and also in regard to decorating for it.
I wrote my ideas into a list of categories first, which helped me to whittle down the type of party that worked. Once I had marked off a handful off of the list, it was simple to choose based off of his birthdate and the fact that I was all ready planning a different event, which fell on the perfect day.
Palentine’s Day Super Bowl party on a Sunday. Perfect.
I’ve lined up a breakfast to kick off the get-together and slotted the time for noon. Lawn games are in order, and s’mores by my fire pit to follow. It’s an afternoon football game, so at halftime, we’ll roll out the make-your-own pizzas and then a themed football cake for the “touchdown”.
Everything I’m planning is to get people engaged and in a celebratory spirit for his special day.
Here are some party ideas that were on my list. They’re fun and interactive and also cater to different interests, such as wine, cocktails, sports and games.
- Wine tasting party: This is a great idea for adults who enjoy trying different types of wine. It can be held at a vineyard or in a private home with a selection of wines from various regions. At home, you can add in a blind fold tasting element. Makes for extra fun and can be done solo or with teams.
- Casino night: Host a casino night with games such as poker, blackjack, and roulette. Makes for a possibility to win prizes for your guests.
- Murder mystery party: There are companies that feature activities for murder mystery parties. An incredible way for guests to get into character and solve a fictional crime.
- Cocktail or Mocktail party: Have a cocktail party where guests can try different types of cocktails, or use instagram to find specialty cocktail recipes. Create a menu based of the theme or person you are celebrating. This can be held at a bar or in a private home.
- Spa day: Nothing like a spa day with a birthday person and friends. Make it the gift of a memory and day of pampering at a spa. This can include massages, facials, and other treatments. Take photos and roll them into a photo book to add to this special gift.
- Sports game viewing party: Host a viewing party for a big sports game and invite friends over to watch the game. Encourage guests to pick a team and have a fantasy betting competition.
- Art class party: One of my friends held her birthday at an art class. It was super fun checking out what other guests came up with and bonding over canvas and paint. What’s great about hosting an art class party, is that guests can get tips from expert artists as they attempt to paint or draw, or work on other crafty projects. Party guests can either give their creations to the host of the party or take home as a memory.
- Outdoor adventure: Plan a day trip or overnight camping excursion for the birthday person and friends. What do they like to do? Ideas such as hiking, kayaking, or rock climbing can direct the way the adventure unfolds. It’s a great way to bond with friends and enjoy nature.
TIP: The San Diego Safari Park offers overnight stays at their safari park. Wake up to roaring lions!