Including Your Dog in Your Nuptials and Making Your Big Day Pawsome!
Are you and your furry friend inseparable? If you can’t imagine your nuptials without your dog by your side, then why not include them in your special day?
Dogs are often considered family members, so it’s only natural that they would be a part of such a momentous occasion. Including your pup in your wedding can be a fun and memorable way to celebrate your love and bond with your furry friend. From walking down the aisle to posing for photos, there are many creative ways to involve your dog on your big day.
Here are some ideas to bring your dog in your wedding and why it can be a unique and meaningful experience.
- Dog-friendly venue: Choose a dog-friendly wedding venue so that your furry friend can be present throughout the day. Some venues even offer dog-friendly accommodations for the night.
- Save the date: Use a photo of you and your dog on your save-the-date cards or wedding invitations to announce your special day to your guests.
- Ring bearer: Your dog can walk down the aisle carrying the rings in a special pouch or attached to their collar. This can be a fun and unique way to involve your pup in your nuptials.
- Flower dog: If you’re having a flower girl, why not have a flower dog too? Your dog can wear a unique floral collar or harness and scatter flower petals down the aisle.
- Escort down the aisle: Your dog can walk alongside you or your partner as a cute and cuddly escort.
- Dog of honor: You can give your dog a special title, like the dog of honor or best dog, and have them stand up with you or your partner during the ceremony.
- Pooch Attire: You can dress your dog up in a special occasion outfit, whether a tuxedo or a fancy dress. Your dog will look adorable and will fit right in with the rest of the wedding party.
- Wedding program: Include your dog in your ceremony program by featuring a photo or short bio about your furry friend.
- Special entrance: Have your dog make a memorable entrance during the nuptials or reception, such as walking down the aisle with a flower crown or being carried in a basket by a wedding party member.
- Photos: Including your dog in your post-ceremony photos can be a fun and memorable way to capture your special day. You can take pictures with your pup before the ceremony, during the ceremony, or at the reception.
- Dog-themed décor: Incorporate dog-themed décor into your wedding, such as table numbers featuring different breeds of dogs, paw print table runners, or dog bone place cards.
- Cake topper: You can have a custom cake topper made that includes you, your partner, and your dog. This can be a sweet and fun way to show your love for your furry friend.
- Dog sitter or handler: Hire a professional dog sitter or handler to care for your dog during the wedding. This way, you won’t have to worry about your pup’s well-being during the nuptials or reception.
- Dog treats or a doggie bar: Set up a unique table with dog treats or a doggie bar, complete with water and toys, so your dog can enjoy the celebration too.
- Wedding favors: Include a dog treat or toy as part of your wedding favors for guests. This can be a fun way to include your dog in the festivities and show appreciation for your guests.
- Wedding party photos: Take photos with your dog and the rest of your wedding party, including your bridesmaids or groomsmen. These photos will capture the joy and love of your special day.
- Pet-friendly photo booth: Set up a pet-friendly photo booth at your reception, complete with props and accessories for your dog to wear.
Did you know?
Did you know some dogs are trained as professional “dog ring bearers” for ceremonies? These specially trained dogs wear a special pouch or pillow on their collars that hold the wedding rings and walk down the aisle just like a human ring bearer. They are trained to stay calm and focused during the nuptials and safely deliver the rings to the couple.
Some professional dog ring bearers even have their own business and travel to weddings nationwide to participate in the nuptials. It’s a unique and memorable way to include your furry friend in your special day and can add an extra special touch to the wedding ceremony.
A little history:
There have been many famous people throughout history who have included their dogs in their weddings.
Amanda Seyfried: Actress Amanda Seyfried included her Australian Shepherd, Finn, in her nuptials to actor Thomas Sadoski in 2017. Finn wore a bow tie and served as the couple’s “best dog.”
Hilary Duff: Actress Hilary Duff included her dog, Lola, at her nuptials to musician Matthew Koma in 2019. Lola wore a floral collar and served as the couple’s “flower girl.”
In July 2022, Emily Ferguson, a former contestant on The Bachelor, and William Karlsson, a hockey player, exchanged their vows in Las Vegas, accompanied by their beloved golden retriever.