Pack Your Bags and Your Dramamine; It’s Going to be a Wild Ride at The White Lotus!
Exciting news for fans of the hit HBO series “The White Lotus” as the show’s creator, Mike White, has just announced that the upcoming season will be filmed in Thailand!
For those captivated by the show’s stunning visuals and exotic locations, this is an opportunity to experience the same breathtaking landscapes and vibrant cultures as the characters. Whether or not the show’s stars Jennifer Coolidge or Aubrey Plaza will make appearence for season 3, fans will just have to wait and see,
Thailand offers many opportunities for adventure and exploration, from pristine beaches and lush jungles to bustling cities and serene temples.
Here are some places you can visit to feel like a character in “The White Lotus” and immerse yourself in the beauty and wonder of this fascinating country.
Here are some things to see and do like a White Lotus star:
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea:
- Enjoy the beautiful beaches and clear waters of Wailea
- Take a whale-watching tour to see humpback whales in their natural habitat
- Golf the many challenging courses on the island.
- Go snorkeling or scuba diving to explore the underwater world
- Relax and rejuvenate at the resort’s spa and wellness facilities
- Take a sunset cruise and enjoy the stunning views of the Pacific Ocean
- Learn about Hawaiian culture and history through various activities and events organized by the resort
San Domenico Palace, Taormina, A Four Seasons Hotel:
- Explore the historic town of Taormina and its ancient Greek theater
- Visit the beautiful beaches and crystal-clear waters of Isola Bella and Giardini Naxos
- Take a cable car up to Monte Tauro for breathtaking views of the coastline and Mount Etna
- Enjoy traditional Sicilian cuisine at the hotel’s restaurants and nearby cafes and restaurants
- Relax in the hotel’s gardens and outdoor pool area
- Visit the nearby town of Castelmola for stunning views of the Ionian Sea and Mount Etna
Castello degli Schiavi, Fiumefreddo:
- Explore the historic castle and its beautiful gardens.
- Learn about the castle’s history and its connection to the famous Italian novel “The Leopard” by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa.
- Visit the nearby town of Fiumefreddo and its charming streets and squares.
- Take a day trip to Mount Etna, Europe’s highest active volcano, for stunning views and hiking opportunities.
- Visit the nearby town of Giardini Naxos for its beautiful beaches and seaside promenade.
- Explore the beautiful baroque architecture of the town, including the stunning Cathedral of San Nicolò
- Visit the town’s many museums and art galleries to learn about the local culture and history
- Enjoy traditional Sicilian cuisine at the town’s many restaurants and cafes
- Take a day trip to the nearby Vendicari Nature Reserve for hiking, birdwatching, and beautiful beaches
- Attend one of the town’s many festivals and events, including the Infiorata flower festival in May
- Visit the town’s stunning Cathedral, built in the Norman style in the 12th century
- Explore the narrow streets and alleys of the historical center, full of shops, cafes, and restaurants
- Relax on the town’s beautiful beaches and enjoy the crystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean
- Take a hike up to the Rocca di Cefalù, a hill overlooking the town with stunning views of the coast and the town itself
- Visit the nearby Madonie Regional Natural Park for hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities
- Explore the city’s many historic buildings and monuments, including the stunning Palermo Cathedral and the Royal Palace of Palermo.
- Visit the famous Capuchin Catacombs, where the mummified remains of thousands of people are on display.
- Enjoy traditional Sicilian street food at the city’s many markets and food stalls.
- Take a day trip to the nearby town of Monreale to visit the stunning Cathedral of Monreale, a masterpiece of Norman architecture.
- Learn about the city’s rich history and culture at museums and art galleries.
Did you know?
“The White Lotus” filming locations in Italy is that the show’s crew faced unexpected challenges while filming at the San Domenico Palace hotel in Taormina.
According to an interview with the show’s director, the crew had to contend with some mischievous local monkeys who kept stealing equipment and supplies from the set!
Despite the playful antics of these furry troublemakers, the crew was able to film at the stunning location successfully, and the San Domenico Palace Hotel remains a popular destination for visitors to Taormina.
A little history:
“The White Lotus” is a television series created by writer and director Mike White, which premiered on HBO in July 2021.
The show follows the lives of guests and staff at a luxury hotel in Hawaii over a week, exploring themes of privilege, power, and the dark underbelly of paradise.
The series features an ensemble cast including Connie Britton, Jennifer Coolidge, Steve Zahn, Alexandra Daddario, and Murray Bartlett.
Despite being a new show, “The White Lotus” has already received critical acclaim and has been praised for its sharp writing, complex characters, and stunning visuals.
The show has been noted for its intelligent commentary on issues of class and race and its exploration of human nature and the human condition.
While “The White Lotus” is a fictional show, it is rooted in a literature and film tradition that explores paradise’s dark side.
The series comes from the White Lotus Society, a secret organization formed in China during the 1300s whose members rebelled against the ruling Mongol dynasty.
The White Lotus Society became known for its revolutionary beliefs, and use of secret codes and symbols, and its legacy has influenced art and culture in many ways over the centuries.
The White Lotus/courtesy of Fabio Lovino/HBO