Warning: May Cause Sudden Urge to Wear Leather Jacket and Cat-Eye Sunglasses
Are you watching The White Lotus– HBO’s show about wealthy-ites head to fab locales for week long escapades?
Well, if you’re looking to add a touch of vintage glamour to your next Vespa ride, as Tanya McQuoid and her husband Greg did in season 2’s White Lotus, there’s plenty of picturesque locations around the world that can offer the perfect backdrop for your fantasy rides.
From the winding coastal roads of the Amalfi Coast to the colorful streets of Havana, there are endless possibilities for channeling your inner celebrity on a retro-style moped.
Whether you’re seeking a romantic escape or an adventurous ride through rugged terrain, there’s a destination out there that will transport you back in time and make you feel like a star on the silver screen.
So hop on your moped, rev up the engine, and get ready to ride like a celebrity in a vintage film.
Here are some suggestions for picturesque locations that could help create the perfect cinematic setting:
- Amalfi Coast, Italy: With its winding coastal roads, charming villages, and stunning vistas of the Mediterranean Sea, the Amalfi Coast is a classic destination for a glamorous, vintage-style moped ride.
- French Riviera, France: The French Riviera has long been a playground for the rich and famous, and it’s easy to see why. The picturesque coastal towns, lush greenery, and sparkling azure waters make for a stunning backdrop for your moped ride.
- Santorini, Greece: With its whitewashed buildings, narrow streets, and panoramic views of the Aegean Sea, Santorini is a dreamy destination for a moped ride straight out of a vintage movie.
- Bali, Indonesia: The lush tropical landscapes, rice paddies, and stunning beaches of Bali make it a popular destination for those seeking a little bit of vintage charm mixed with exotic scenery.
- Havana, Cuba: With its vintage cars, colorful architecture, and lively streets, Havana is a perfect location for a moped ride that’s both stylish and playful.
- Marrakech, Morocco: The winding alleys, bustling souks, and stunning palaces of Marrakech offer a unique and visually stunning setting for a vintage-style moped ride.
- Palm Springs, California: With its mid-century modern architecture, palm trees, and desert landscapes, Palm Springs is the perfect place to channel your inner Hollywood starlet on a moped.
- Cote d’Azur, France: The stunning coastline of the Cote d’Azur offers a glamorous backdrop for a moped ride, with picturesque seaside towns, beautiful beaches, and scenic mountain roads.
- Tokyo, Japan: For a more urban and futuristic vibe, consider riding a moped through the vibrant streets of Tokyo. The city offers a unique setting for a stylish ride with its neon lights, bustling crowds, and modern architecture.
- Lisbon, Portugal: The colorful streets and historic architecture of Lisbon make it a charming destination for a vintage-style moped ride. Cruise through the narrow streets of the Alfama district or take in the sweeping views of the city from atop a hill.
- Baliem Valley, Indonesia: For a more adventurous moped ride, head to the rugged terrain of the Baliem Valley in Papua, Indonesia. Explore traditional villages, lush forests, and stunning mountain vistas.
- Dubrovnik, Croatia: Dubrovnik’s ancient walls and terracotta rooftops make it a picturesque destination for a vintage-style moped ride. Explore the narrow streets of the Old Town or cruise along the stunning coastline.
TIPS: Always prioritize safety when riding a Vespa, and check local laws and regulations before taking to the road. Always wear a helmet for safety.
And, remember, the key to creating a cinematic experience is the location and the details – think vintage clothing, retro sunglasses, and a soundtrack of classic tunes to transport yourself back in time.
Did you know?
In some locations mentioned, such as Bali and Marrakech, it’s common for locals to ride mopeds as their primary transportation. Riding a moped alongside locals can be a great way to immerse yourself in the culture and experience a destination in a more authentic way.
Many of these locations offer moped rentals for visitors, so you don’t need to bring your own to enjoy a stylish ride.
A little history:
Riding a moped for leisure or transportation can be traced back to the early 1900s. The first motorized bicycles were invented in Europe in the 1890s, and by the 1920s, the concept of a lightweight, affordable motorcycle with pedals was introduced.
These early ones, also known as motorized bicycles or autocycles, became popular in Europe as a cheap and efficient means of transportation for the masses.
In the post-World War II era, they grew in popularity, particularly in Europe and Asia, where they were often used for daily commutes and errands.
In the 1960s and 70s, mopeds also experienced a surge in popularity in the United States, particularly among young people looking for an affordable and stylish way to get around.
They are still a popular form of transportation and recreation worldwide. While they are no longer the primary mode of transportation for many, they remain a popular choice for those looking for a fun and retro way to get around.