Discover the Stunning Locations Where Your Favorite Super-Villains Battled It Out on Screen
“The Suicide Squad” is the second movie in a thrilling, action-packed series that takes viewers on a wild ride across the globe. From the dense jungles of Panama to the snow-capped mountains of Austria, this film was shot in various breathtaking locations worldwide.
Featuring an all-star cast of supervillains on a deadly mission, the movie was filmed in Atlanta, Georgia, Toronto, Canada, Thailand, and several other stunning locations.
Read on to discover the complete list of filming locations used in “The Suicide Squad” and the scenes shot in each location.
Here is a list of the main filming locations:
- Panama: A jungle sequence was filmed in Panama, where the Suicide Squad battles against enemy forces.
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA: Several scenes were filmed in Atlanta, including the prison break sequence at the beginning of the movie, the scenes inside Belle Reve prison, and the bar scene where the Squad meets up with Amanda Waller.
- Toronto, Canada: The city of Toronto was used to represent the fictional island of Corto Maltese, where much of the movie takes place.
- Thailand: A temple sequence was filmed in Thailand, where the Squad battles against the Thinker’s forces.
- Soltau, Germany: The abandoned military base scenes were filmed in Soltau, Germany.
- Los Angeles, California, USA: Some interior scenes were filmed in Los Angeles, including where Harley Quinn is tortured and where Ratcatcher 2 tells her backstory.
- Portugal: Some beach scenes were filmed in Portugal, where the Squad first lands on the island of Corto Maltese.
- Malaga, Spain: The movie’s finale was filmed in Malaga, Spain, where the Squad battles against Starro the Conqueror.
- Panama City, Panama: Some additional scenes were filmed in Panama City, Panama, including the car chase sequence.
- Costa Rica: Some jungle and beach scenes were filmed in Costa Rica.
- Alabama, USA – The prison bus sequence was filmed in Alabama, USA.
- Austria: The snowy mountain scenes were filmed in Austria, where the Squad battles against the Thinker’s laboratory guards.
- Serbia: Some additional scenes were filmed in Serbia, including some of the flashback scenes and the underwater sequence.
An all-star cast:
- Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn: Robbie reprises her role as the fan-favorite Harley Quinn, the Joker’s former girlfriend, and a skilled fighter and strategist.
- Idris Elba as Bloodsport: Elba plays Bloodsport, a deadly mercenary with a talent for weapons and a troubled past.
- John Cena as Peacemaker: Cena plays Peacemaker, a ruthless and patriotic government agent who will do whatever it takes to protect his country.
- Joel Kinnaman as Rick Flag: Kinnaman returns as Rick Flag, the leader of the Suicide Squad and a military veteran with a strong sense of duty.
- Viola Davis as Amanda Waller: Davis reprises her role as Amanda Waller, the formidable and uncompromising government official who oversees the Suicide Squad.
- Sylvester Stallone as King Shark: Stallone provides the voice for King Shark, a giant man-eating shark and member of the Suicide Squad.
- Daniela Melchior as Ratcatcher 2: Melchior plays Ratcatcher 2, a skilled thief who can control rats.
Did you know?
“The Suicide Squad” features a post-credit scene not included in the initial theatrical release. The location was added later for the home video release of the movie.
In the background, we see Peacemaker, played by John Cena, waking up in a hospital bed after the film’s events. He is approached by Waller, who offers him a new mission to undertake.
This sets up the upcoming “Peacemaker” series, which will focus on Cena’s character and is set to premiere on HBO Max.
A little history:
“The Suicide Squad” is a 2021 superhero film based on the DC Comics team of the same name. The concept of the Suicide Squad was first introduced in the comics in 1959, but it wasn’t until the 1980s that the team gained popularity. The Suicide Squad consists of a group of convicted criminals sent on dangerous missions by the government in exchange for reduced prison sentences. The concept has been explored in various comics, TV shows, and movies.
The idea for the movie version of “The Suicide Squad” was first announced in 2014, with David Ayer attached as director. The movie was initially intended to be a spin-off of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” but it eventually became a standalone movie. However, Ayer ultimately left the project due to creative differences, and James Gunn was brought on as director in 2018.
Gunn, best known for his work on the “Guardians of the Galaxy” movies, brought his unique style to “The Suicide Squad.” The movie features a mix of humor, action, and heart, and it received generally positive reviews from critics and audiences alike. The film’s impressive cast and breathtaking filming locations also helped to make it a standout entry in the superhero genre.