Get Your Taste Buds Swingin’ with the Apple Cranberry Walnut Funky Monkey Pie – A Groovy Mix of Fruit and Nuts
Are you looking for a fun and unique twist on classic apple pie? Look no further than Funky Monkey Apple Pie! More of a “pie-pot”, this spiced pie is filled with juicy apples, tart cranberries, and crunchy walnuts, all nestled in a buttery pie crust.
But what sets this pie apart is the unexpected blend of warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and allspice, which give it a depth of flavor that will leave you coming back for more.
And as if that weren’t enough, a drizzle of rich caramel sauce on top takes this pie to the next level of decadence.
Serve warmly with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a truly unforgettable dessert experience.
Here’s a fantastic apple pie recipe that incorporates unexpected flavors and textures:
- 1 pre-made pie crust (or if you can, make from scratch)
- 6-7 medium-sized apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine the sliced apples, brown sugar, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well until all the apples are coated.
- Add the chopped walnuts and dried cranberries to the mixing bowl and gently mix with the apple mixture.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pre-made pie crust and spread it evenly.
- Place small pieces of butter on top of the apple mixture.
- (Optional) Cut strips of extra pie-crust and lay them in any pattern across the top of the ingredients before placing in the oven.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 50-55 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the top of the pie.
- Let the pie cool for another 10-15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy your dessert!
Did you know?
This pie combines walnuts and cranberries not only adds a delicious crunch and tangy flavor to the filling but also provides some additional health benefits. Walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and improve heart health.
Cranberries are packed with antioxidants and are known to help prevent urinary tract infections. So not only is this pie delicious, but it also has some added nutritional value!
A little history:
The origins of the apple pie can be traced back to Medieval Europe, where the pastry was filled with fruit, spices, and honey. It was a popular dish among the nobility and was often served at banquets and feasts.
As early as the 1500s, apple pies were being made in England, and they quickly became a favorite dessert among the working class. The first known recipe for apple pie was published in England in 1381, and by the 16th century, the dish had become a symbol of English culture and tradition.
When European settlers came to America in the 17th and 18th centuries, they brought their love of apple pies. Apples were abundant in the New World, and apple pies became a staple dessert in American households.
During the American Revolution, apple pies symbolized the country’s independence from Britain. The phrase “as American as apple pie” was coined in the 1920s to promote the dish and its connection to American culture and values.
Apple pie remains one of the most popular desserts in America and worldwide. It symbolizes home, comfort, and tradition and is often enjoyed during holidays and special occasions–from its humble beginnings in Medieval Europe to its status as an iconic American dessert, the apple pie has undoubtedly come a long way!