By Stefanie Michaels
At certain points in my career running my brand, Adventure Girl, I’ve been in airports and on planes more than I got to be home. I can confidently say I’ve flown almost all of airlines from the small bespoke ones like JSX to the legacy air carriers on their A380’s.
Flying international on what the airline business calls long haul flights— anything over six hours in the air is a different kind of competitiveness than shorter flights.
I’m sharing my list of top tier international options based on safety, comfort, and overall quality of service, also relying on ranking by various flight-industry organizations:
- Singapore Airlines: Known for its excellent service, Singapore Airlines not only ranks highly among industry professionals, but also passengers who fly them. Those in business class get perks such as luxurious amenity care-kits and for those flying 1st class, private suites and gourmet meals via Book the Cook, which pre-ordered Lobster Thermidor is on the menu along with Oscietra caviar.
- Qatar Airways: Whether coach or business, this airline always ranks as one of the best in the world. Most importantly is their quest to provide the most comfortable seats. Add in a solid A+ for in-flight service and a top notch entertainment system, makes flying many hours easier to take.
- ANA (All Nippon Airways): An excellent safety record an punctuality at its finest, All Nippon Airways boasts attention to detail including wider seats with more legroom.
- Emirates: This airline claims to have the best seats at 40,000 feet, and I believe it! Economy Class gets multi-course meal options by choice, inclusive of fresh fruits, salad, crackers and cheeses, plus a sweet treat of the day.
- Cathay Pacific: Based in Hong Kong, safety reigns supreme with an incredible flying record. Business class seats boast turn down with 400 thread count sustainably-sourced cotton linens, mattress pad, duvet, and pillows. Like most biz classes, amenity kits are provided, but with Cathay, naturally-sourced skincare products are included.