Couple Gets Worms in Feet From Walking on Beach

Worm in feet

Traveling, as wonderful as it can be, sometimes comes with risks. We’ve heard stories of faulty diving equipment, jellyfish mishaps, and even rats in hotel rooms, but when this story hit our desks, we all were like, “whhhhuuuut?”. Worms in feet. You heard it friends. WORMS. IN. FEET.

Apparently, a Canadian couple, Katie Stephens and Edie Zytner enjoyed beach walking barefoot in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, as one would do on a beach holiday. Except, after scratching their feet throughout the trip, then returning home with blistering so painful, they couldn’t walk.

And, then HOOKWORMS!

and then this…

Photos: Katie Stephens/FB

What are Hookworms? via Health Line 

The two types of hookworms that cause infection are Necator americanus and Ancylostoma duodenale.

Eggs of hookworms end up on the ground after passing through feces. They hatch into larvae, which stay in the soil until they have a chance to break through human skin.

You can become infected with hookworms by coming into contact with soil that contains their eggs or larvae. The larvae enter your skin, travel through your bloodstream, and enter your lungs. They also travel to your windpipe and are carried to your small intestine when you swallow. Fully grown, they can live in your small intestine for a year or more before passing through feces.

People who live in warm climates in areas with poor hygiene and sanitation are more at risk of developing hookworm infections.