FOODIE: Recipe from Fiji- Fijian Kokoda (Ceviche)
- Time 10 minutes prep time
- Serves 8 people
- 500g white fish fillets (walu – Scomberomorus commerson, kawakawa – rockcod, or mahimahi – Coryphaena hippurus)
- 3 large limes (or lemons)
- 1 cup fresh coconut cream
- 1 large onion, minced or chopped fine
- 1 potent chilli (or teaspoon Tabasco)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large capsicum (green pepper), diced
- pinch salt
How to make it
- Cut fish into bite-sized pieces. Marinate overnight in juice of limes and salt.
- Remove from fridge and remove excess liquids, you dont have to drain it dry
- Add coconut cream, chopped onion and chilli just before serving
- Decorate with tomato and capsicum. Serve in a large bowl, or as individual servings on a bed of lettuce in a coconut half-shell (bilo). Note: if you refrigerate the kokoda for too long after combining the ingredients, the coconut cream will solidify.