So how does a French chef get to Lake Austin Spa Resort? In the case of executive chef Stéphane Beaucamp, the road passed through Normandy, Paris, and Los Angeles, with Nicole Kidman’s birthday party and a bash for Elton John along the way.
Chef Beaucamp was born in Argenteuil, just outside Paris. As a child, he remembers, “I was always helping my parents cook. Dad was always baking, mom was always in the kitchen. They’d get up early just to make sure there was good food ready to eat all day.”
And, lucky us that this chef marvel shares his recipe with us for Tomato Salad with Watermelon, Toasted Cashews, Chèvre, and Lemon-Agave Vinaigrette.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon light agave syrup
- ¾ teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 large, ripe tomato (red or yellow), quartered
- 1/2 cup diced watermelon (you can also scoop the melon into balls)
- 3 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews, lightly chopped
- ¼ cup chèvre (preferably local), crumbled
Let’s Make it!
To make the Lemon-Agave Vinaigrette, whisk together the, lemon juice, agave syrup, white wine vinegar, a generous pinch of salt in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle the grapeseed oil while whisking. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
To make the salad, arrange the tomato, watermelon, and the basil leaves on a plate, drizzle with the Lemon-Agave Vinaigrette, and then top the salad with the cashews and chèvre.