by Stefanie Michaels
Every Time I head to Oahu, Hawaii, and stay at the Royal Hawaiian, it kicks off my craving for their famed banana bread. It’s a perk guests receive for staying there, and a surprise to find when entering your room during your stay.
I got a hold of the recipe. This makes one loaf, or 6 small muffins. Double the ingredients to double the outcome!
- 4-5 mashed ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening or vegetable oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon to taste
- 1/2 cup Macadamia nuts as an option. You can use any nuts.
Let’s cook it!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease your 2″ x 4″ X 8″ size loaf pan.
- Take a large bowl and add sugar, shortening (or oil), and eggs. Mix for a while.
- Add mashed bananas and mix some more.
- Add all the dry ingredients into the bowl – flour, salt, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda and mix. You will have a very thick batter.
- As an option, mix in the nuts of your choice. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for approximately one hour. Stick a toothpick in your banana bread to see if it comes out clean. Leave it for a few minutes to cool.
- Want an even moister option, add in extra bananas.