Some of our readers might not have seen an actual record. You know, those hard discs of black round flatness with little lines on them? Also known as, licorice pizzas, LPs, vinyls, forty-fives and seventy-eights (as they came in different sizes. The dictionary describes them as, “a thin plastic disk carrying recorded sound, especially music, in grooves on each surface, for reproduction by a record player.”
A long ago way of listening to music, put aside for the newer options– compact disks to iPhones, they’re now back en vogue and hotter than ever.
It was a matter of time, before the record shop experience would be back in our lives, and an actual place to go, and a thing to do.
So, check out VNYL and this 8Great– a cool new place to discover!
- A First of its Kind – Partnering with LA-based VNYL, a music discovery subscription service, The Goodland Hotel has created Kimpton’s first VNYL Record Shop inside a hotel lobby—and a first hotel location for VNYL! The space has a retro feel and features dozens of titles, ranging from classic sixties and nineties legends, to undiscovered hot new bands.
- Pick and Play – Each of The Goodland’s SoCal-inspired bohemian rooms comes with a record player. With the new VNYL Record Shop, guests can borrow or buy records and enjoy them back in the comfort of their room—anytime.
- Open 24/7 – And, speaking of anytime, the shop is open 24/7, which gives night owls (or early risers) a chance to discover new music to fit their mood whenever or wherever.
- Listening Stations – The VNYL record shop features listening stations powered by SONOS and VNYL’s connected turntable line, TRNTBL, so listeners around the world to see what’s spinning at The Goodland anytime.
- Concert Series – The Goodland hosts regular concert series from local and mainstream artists for guests to enjoy. Some featured artists have included Grammy nominated, platinum album certified Christian Rich, Oakland based, indie-darlings Waterstrider, and Jay Z’s tour DJ and scratch vinyl legend DJ Neil Armstrong. Most of the bands that have performed on location also have records inside the new VNYL Record Shop—win/win!
- Good Bar – Guests looking to shake things up can stop in the Good Bar—an intimate, laidback lounge, designed to invite guests in and let the good times roll with a billiards table, backgammon boards and a coastal cool soundtrack. The bar is filled with premium spirits and local craft beers and wines from vineyards just a cork’s throw away, all served by bartenders and staff that know how to help you celebrate the good life.
- ‘Positive Spin’ Deal – In honor of the VNYL Record Shop launch, The Goodland Hotel is offering a special package that includes deluxe accommodations, two music-inspired cocktails upon arrival and a guest’s choice of record. Package starts at $199 and will be available for booking through Dec. 31, 2016. What are you waiting for?
- Nostalgic Americana Programming – Building on The Goodland’s art and music offering and further amplifying the guest experience, the hotel offers vintage house car and airstream, curated art gallery, film series, adult summer camp-style games, yoga, pop-up shops and workshops, taught by local purveyors.