This post was written by Adventure Girl through an activation with HireInfluence on behalf of Southwest Airlines. Although Adventure Girl received compensation for participating in the campaign, all thoughts and opinions are our own.
I feel like the luckiest person in the world. I get to travel the world, and have you by my side, sharing my adventures.
That’s what happened when I got to travel this week to Punta Cana with Southwest Airlines. Punta Cana was on my shortlist of places to experience, and best of all, you could follow what I uncovered there by using the hashtag, #Southwestpassport, and by heading to southwestpasport.com to learn more about their $500.00 giveaways. A really cool deal for all of us!
Below is my list of 8Greats, what I loved, where I explored, and the places to see when you get there!
1. #Southwestpassport. With Southwest Air’s flights into new international destinations, such as Cabo, the Bahamas, Mexico City, and Dominican Republic, to name a few, it’s easy to travel for sand and sun. **To learn more about their new destinations and how you can win a $500.00 gift card, please see the information below.
2. Westin Punta Cana. The Westin Punta Cana is literally 15 minutes from the airport by car. After checking in, I headed out to the beach to take photos before sunset. (I used BD Travel for my pick-up and drop-off at the airport, which makes life that much easier. They have a desk at the Westin, so making other transport arrangements to see other parts of the island is super easy). Rooms are suites. My first room was #312, but I later moved to #203, which offers amazing ocean views and a room to request ahead of time. The hotel also has shuttles that run to several places on property, and also to Punta Cana town– a cute mall-type area for shopping and eating options.
3. Punta Cana Town. A small mall area that offers a half dozen restaurant options, including a Baskin Robins and Wendy’s (for those who can’t get away from US chains), a market, and clothing boutiques. A great place to experience local’s restaurants, offering fresh seafood if you are into that. Otherwise, dining options vary from tapas, Italian food, sushi, to my favorite place I came upon, Dominican food.
4. Yeya Restaurant. YeYa Dominican Restaurant is run by a local couple and sits in the middle of the downtown Punta Cana mall. Everything on their menu is delicious, from their ceviche ($3.00 US) to their grilled langoustine entree ($14.00 US), which is freshly caught and prepared with each order. It even came with a dish of fried plantains. So delectable this meal, I went back a second evening, and swear I will be dreaming about those meals for a very long time. Don’t miss this place!
5. Saona Island. Once on Saona, it’s a couple of hours of lounging in the sun, and eating lunch, before heading back to the marina–the starting point. (Pricing per adult $90.00 approx.)
6. Beaches. In my humble opinion, Punta Cana has the best beaches. Powdery white sand, kissed by azul waters, so clear that you can see the bottom. The sea is calm here, so kayaking and windsurfing are favorites among locals and visitors alike. Check out the beach straight in front of the Westin, or in just a three minute walk will get you to Playa Blanca– a small perfect beach with its own seaside restaurant by the same name.
7. Eco-Reserve. The Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park and Reserve, a 1,500-acre private reserve is owned and maintained by the Ecological Foundation, and set aside for scientific research, conservation of native and endangered species. A network of trails wind through jungle to 12 freshwater lagoons, which provides habitat for an abundance of reptiles,birds, insects, and local flora and fauna. TIP: Bring mosquito spray!!!
8. Golf. There are several courses to check out for the golfer in Punta Cana. One famous one is the Punta Espada Golf Club, which GolfWeek ranked as “#1 Best Golf Course in the Caribbean and Mexico” as well as Golf Digest ranking it as #76 in the World. With just 8-holes set along the Caribbean sea, set your tee time early. It’s enough play time to get your golf fix, then enjoy the rest of the day at beach.
Travel Tip: Make sure to have $10US for entry into Dominican Republic at the airport upon your arrival.
**You can follow along on Southwestpassport.com to check out my adventures, and follow along on @adventuregirl on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook.
If you’d like to book your own getaway (or surprise someone with a trip), head to Southwest.com.
Here’s more information about my partnership with Southwest Airlines and how you can win a $500.00 gift card from them for your adventures!
Twelve Southwest Travelers will be assigned a Southwest Airlines International Destination and will travel between December 4, 2016 and December 14, 2016. Each Southwest Traveler will document a trip online by posting images and other content on Twitter, Instagram, Blog and Facebook Pages. Each Southwest Traveler will include a Giveaway Prop as part of a posting included in his/her Traveler Content. Each Traveler will only post one (1) Giveaway as part of their Traveler Content posted between December 4, 2016 and December 14, 2016.
Prize: 12 winners possible
Each winner will receive one (1) $500 Southwest ® gift card
To enter: (1) follow the Southwest Travelers and watch for the Giveaway Prop as part of the Traveler Content; (2)share #SouthwestPassport and #DESTINATIONGiveaway and a reason for wanting to win in order to be eligible when you see that a Southwest Traveler posted Traveler Content that includes a Giveaway Prop, Tweet/Post on Entrant’s Twitter/Instagram account that image/video tagged with the corresponding Southwest Traveler’s Corresponding Location Entry Hashtag; and (3) include why you want to visit the destination to which the Southwest Traveler is traveling.
Postings on Facebook or any other platforms or services do not qualify for a possible entry.
Location Entry Hashtags: #PuertoVallartaGiveaway, #CaboGiveaway, #MexicoCityGiveaway, #CancunGiveaway, #ArubaGiveaway, #JamaicaGiveaway, #PuertoRicoGiveaway, #NassauGiveaway, #PuntaCanaGiveaway, #LiberiaCostaRicaGiveaway, #SanJoseCostaRicaGiveaway, #BelizeGiveaway
Disclaimer: Adventuregirl.com has teamed with Southwest Airlines as a sponsor to bring you this incredible adventure event! Adventuregirl.com and its agents are not responsible for choosing any winners.