By Stefanie Michaels
I’m that girl who loves to get on a plane, unplug and enjoy the downtime I don’t get anywhere else. I come prepared with things to do, especially updated app games that keep me busy most of the flights I take. I love Candy Crush Soda version— I’m up to 540 racking up “gumball goodies” for wins. Fun!
Games on a plane are excellent to pass the time and keep entertained during flights and can help to chase the boredom away that often comes with flying. They also can help to reduce stress and anxiety, and provide a distraction from confinement of being on a plane.
According to the National Institute of Health, scientific studies on games state they help mind sharpness and improve cognitive skills— some games require critical thinking and problem-solving.
With that, I share my top games I’ve played (and liked):
- Monument Valley – This game is great for planes because it is a visually stunning puzzle game that requires minimal interaction. No rando puzzle pieces to lose— it’s all via the app
- Words with Friends – A classic word game that is perfect for playing against friends. I like playing using a plane’s fly-fi/wifi and I can match up with friends playing elsewhere.
- Candy Crush Soda – Just one of the options in the Candy Crush games. It’s simple, yet addictive! Time flies by challenging players to level up, making it ideal for airplane travel.
- Angry Birds – These birds crack me up! It’s that classic game that is easy to get quickly and move onwards to higher levels.
- Sudoku – The puzzle game traveler’s can find in airline magazine, but this edition is app based. Warning: can get frustrating, but it’s perfect for keeping busy while in flight.
- Trivia Crack – A Jeopardy fan perhaps? This trivia game tests your knowledge against friends. *Flyfi is needed to access playtime
- Threes! – A simple and addictive puzzle game that is easy to pick up and play on a flight. Swipe tiles together to create the initial 3 then 6 and so on creating high-er number tiles.
- Minecraft – One of the most popular games with possibilities that are endless. Similar to Legos, it involves building different structures, resource gathering, then combat. Grab this app for long flights. *In survival mode, the goal is to stay alive.
These games are awesome because they can be played with a solo player, are easy to pick up and engage. Whether on a plane, at a coffee shop or home, they’re simply fun and challenging!